OTC (over-the-counter) drugs in Nigeria


Nine out of ten Nigerians commonly take over-the-counter (OTC) medications, most often to treat ailments like aches and pains, coughs and colds, fever, skin disorders, and heartburn and other digestive problems. The reasons are easy to understand. O.T.C.s are convenient, readily available in pharmacies, and they are less expensive than going to the doctor and perhaps paying for a costly prescription.
In addition to saving the consumers time and money, O.T.C.s give many people a sense of self-control over their health.
That’s all to the good if OTC drugs are used appropriately, for an indicated condition in the proper dosage and for no longer than the recommended time. However, one in five Nigerians who self-medicate admit to taking more than the recommended dose or using the medication for a longer duration than stated on the label.
Even if O.T.C.s are used correctly, there can be problems. Some drugs should not be taken by people with certain health conditions, or be combined with certain type of food or other drugs — prescribed or over the counter — because of the possibility of adverse interactions.

Commonly Abused O.T.C. drugs


Postinor-2
Postinor-2 Tablets is a brand of medicine containing the active ingredient "levonorgestrel". The primary mechanism of action of levonorgestrel as a progestogen-only emergency contraceptive pill is to prevent fertilization by inhibition of ovulation and thickening of the mucosa of cervix.
Pharmacotherapeutic effect: Postinor-2 is used as an emergency contraceptive after intercourse.
Pharmacotoxic effect: Delayed period, bleeding not related to menstrual bleeding, irregular bleeding or spotting nausea, diarrhea, vomiting lower abdominal pain, breast tenderness dizziness, headache.

Codeine

Codeine is an opioid pain medication. An opioid is sometimes called a narcotic. It is used to induce sleep and it also causes hallucination.
Pharmacotherapeutic effect: Codeine is used to treat mild to moderately severe pain.
Pharmacotoxic effect: feeling dizzy or drowsy; nausea, vomiting, stomach pain; constipation; sweating; or mild itching or rash.

Paracetamol
Paracetamol (also called acetaminophen or APAP) is a medication used to treat pain and fever. Paracetamol is a very commonly abused drug in Nigeria. Several people take it daily and its concentration in the body reaches toxic levels. When you overdose on paracetamol, you will increase the risk of damaging your liver.
Pharmacotherapeutic effect: Paracetamol is used for the relief of fever, pain, headaches, lower back pain etc.
Pharmacotoxic effect: Abuse or overdose of paracetamol can lead to liver damage, nausea, vomiting, sweating, and pain as acute liver failure. Some studies have found an association between paracetamol and a slight increase in kidney cancer.

In my subsequent posts, I'll discuss more OTC drugs. Spread the information to enlighten people.

Do not miss any updates. follow us by email to subscribe to our newsletter. Like our page on Facebook and Follow us on Twitter.

Comments

  1. My life is beautiful thanks to you, Mein Helfer. Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases ... Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetis, Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,HPV,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Weak Erection,Love Spell,Leukemia,Lun,Fribroid,Infertility,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or whatsapp, @ .. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, phone number .. + 2348149277967 .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Herpes is a serious and recurring disease which can't be cured through drugs or injections by the American doctors but the best way to deal with Herpes is by taking natural herbs medicine for it, I have read about DR OKOSUN the great herbalist doctor who cure me from herpes with his powerful herbal medicine. i contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry
    that he will help me with the natural herbs from God!
    after 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure has been ready and
    he sent it to me via UPS SPEED POST and it got to me after 3 days!
    i used the medicine as he instructed me (MORNING and EVENING) and i was
    cured!
    its really like a dream but i am so happy! for the people suffering from the following diseases, Cancer, hypothyroidism, Herpes, COPD, HIV, Arthritis, Hpv, Infections,Liver Disease, Autoimmune Diseases, Parkinson's disease,Lupus and more should contact him for his herbal medicine because i am a living testimony and i was cured of herpes and his medicine is legit. i sent him what he requested and he sent me his medicine which i took for 3 good weeks and today am out here with negative result when i went for test. i was so happy after going through his medication. you can reach him through his email drokosun55@gmail.com or whatsapp number:+2348124363791

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Informative content on OTC medications Thank you for the article!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment